Friday, July 27, 2007

Bliss.....Pure Bliss

So yesterday DH calls me at 6:45 am. Yes, I was already up and busy, as anyone with toddlers will know and understand. He says, "I'm about 5 minutes from work, but I really want to come home. Is that ok?"

I didn't have any clients scheduled for that day and had already decided to take Brennan and Logan to the babysitter's house and have a REAL day off. I probably don't have to explain how a day off from work when you have kids really isn't a day off. Sometimes being at work is more relaxing than being at home. Sometimes? Who am I kidding?!?! Most of the time!!

Anyway, I had been really looking forward to this time alone (truly alone) for about a week and had already started to formulate a plan for the precious 6 hours that I would have to myself (run, definitely, run, then read? paint? blog? sew? sleep? clean? wait--how did that get in there?!) Usually it's extremely hard for me to shift gears in mid-expectation, but this was a very special opportunity for us -- to be together in our own house, during the day, without any kids to manage or try to talk over, or rescue from near death. Besides that, I hadn't even made my morning coffee yet so I said "Of COURSE it's OK! I'll see you when you get here."

Since his commute is about an hour one way, DH got home around 7:45. We went through the rest of the morning get-ready-for-the-babysitter routine and took the kids across the street at 8:30. Once we were back in the house, we didn't have any trouble filling the 6 hours, and we didn't even have a plan. Moral of the story: be open and flexible -- the best stuff might just be outside of the box.

No comments: