Friday, August 24, 2007

202.4

That's how many miles I've run since I started in March. I wouldn't have known this except that I started using a handy-dandy feature that Runner's World added a few months back.

My original plan for using the Training Log was to track what kinds of circumstances make for a "good" run or a "bad" run. That way, I could always have a
good run. The Log let's you track the type of run (yes, there are different types), the time of the day, the weather, your heart rate, your routes, what shoes you wear (because you always have more than one pair), and of course, how many miles. Anyone who is regularly working out can use this log. It has options for swimming, bicycling, weight training and "other workout." Here's a link to my training log in case you're curious or you want to see all the nifty features.

I'd like to run the Allerton Trail in under 52 minutes (average 9:45 per mile) so I have to run faster and farther than my last race (average mile was 9:52). To get ready for a race my natural inclination is to go as far and fast as possible each time I run. But to keep from getting injured or burned out, you're supposed to increase your weekly mileage by only 10% of the previous week's mileage. For example, if I ran 5 miles last week, I should only run 5.5 miles this week. So, as hard as it's been, I've been keeping a close eye on the Weekly Distances in the Log and increasing slowly but surely. Today, the total miles for 2007 caught my eye and I thought it was blog-worthy.

And Jen, THANKS for the encouragement!

No comments: