Saturday, October 27, 2007

Model Citizen

The holiday catalog deluge has begun. In the mail yesterday we got one for toys, one that I like better than others because of it's offering of toys that require more child imagination and less noise and blinking lights. Brennan grabbed it up right away and began going through the pages with LOTS of excitement......"I want that. I want THAT! Can I have that? I want that." I listened and mumbled indulgent responses for a while and then became more and more uncomfortable. When he said "We can go to the store and get that right now" I'd had enough. I said, "Sweetheart, these are toys that you could get for Christmas. We don't go to the store every day to get toys." He said, without blinking an eye and in all seriousness, "Yes we do."

Yikes.

No comments: