Saturday, December 15, 2007

Winter Running

I know, I know.....I said I was all done with running until Spring.  I just couldn't stay away.  

Part of it was the challenge of running in cold weather.  Could I do it?  Could I stand it?  I wanted to know.  

Another motivator was very 
 fond memories of downhill and cross country skiing as a teen.  Those pushed me to try....there's something about the stillness and softness of snow that is soothing.  Yes, it's cold but it's also wondrous.  It moves the self (my Self) to slow down and be present.

I've run 3 times while it's snowing and right after it has snowed.  A little tricky but very fun.  I decided to try after getting my left calf checked by a sports med. doc here in town.  I was assured that I only had shin splints and not a stress fracture and that they (said shin splints) were caused by the hill running I had done on the U of I campus 
starting in July in preparation for the trail run I did in October.  That trail run definitely exacerbated it.  

Oddly enough, after running in the snow, I haven't had a single twinge in my left calf....maybe it's the extra cushioning from the snow, or I'm landing and stepping off differently to manage the snow, or maybe it was all psychological!

I was a little hesitant to tell ONO that I was going to run again before spring.  I told him and he said something like "Well, I'm not surprised.  I'm well aware of your illness."  It took me a minute and then I said "I don't think of it as an illness."  And he said, "I know.  That's why it is."

I think it's ok if I'm a bit nutty about this running thing.  It's helping me keep the tendrils away!!

1 comment:

Donita said...

GOOD FOR YOU! It is an illness, but a good one. Rob has it too. No medicine for it, but then again, why would I want to cure something that makes him happy?