Monday, December 15, 2008

Running Update

If you're a regular, you've notice that I haven't posted much about running, or anything for that matter. Recently I discovered there's a connection there, but more on that later.

After the Allerton Trail Run in late October I've been plagued with shin splits (again!) in my right leg and an obstinate heel pain. I'm sure the two are related. I can't quite figure out if the heel pain is Plantar Fascitis or a bone bruise, or maybe even a stress fracture. ONO says that's unlikely but I'm not ruling it out.

I took about a week off and then tried running. The run itself went great but the pain afterward was pretty bad. I took almost 3 more weeks off, waiting until there was absolutely no pain in my shins. There was just a scooch of pain in my foot but I decided to go ahead. Again, pretty good during the run....pretty bad after. And the next morning? OY!!

I'm trying not to get too bummed about it. It's hard. I'm clearly not going to meet the mileage goal I set for myself last January. Unless you count all the elliptical miles I've put in. But don't think those count. But more importantly, running is really the only thing I really like. It gets me outside and away -- from myself and all the other annoyances in my life. It makes me grateful to be alive and able to move.

I've decided to invest in The Stick, a weight training book for runners, some shoe inserts, and maybe a foot log. All of that is about $100. If it works, that's definitely well-spent cash.

1 comment:

ECrunnergirl said...

Sorry to hear about that persistent injury. Im like you nothing can replace running. I hope all the goodies work.....I have the stick and I LOVE it. I roll it on my foot too. Maybe it loosens up scar tissue...I don't know but it feels so good!!

The inserts will probably help too. What kind of shoes do you wear? Do you think it could be that? I had a friend at work (a beginning runner) who experienced some pretty yucky shin splints and she went to the local running store and they hooked her up with the right shoes...and she hasnt had any problems with shin splints since then.

Anyway, good luck Lisa and I hope you get out there and back to your regular running real soon! Keep the posts coming!