Friday, November 28, 2008

Top 5 things I like about Carter

Today is Carter's 17th birthday. It's really hard for me to believe that he's this old and so big. I remember so well him being about 4 weeks old and delighting in his lopsided newborn grin that reminded me of Harrison Ford. He was a big baby -- 8 lbs, 10 oz. -- but now he's nearly 6'2".

So today, it being his birthday, I thought it fitting to devote this posting to him, my first born son.

Let me say at the outset that there are many, many things that I like about Carter. I'm just picking my top five faves to share.

5. His intellect. His memory (for the things he's really interested in), is AMAZING; he could do simple arithmetic around age 4 and has been able to understand and apply complicated concepts for quite a long time. And this isn't just his Mom bragging!

4. His inquisitiveness. Always, always curious about things. As a little kid I could hardly keep up with him, and I'm pretty curious myself.

3. His athleticism. Regular readers already know how much I enjoy this about him. He could ride a two-wheeler (no training wheels) at 3 years old. He's played hockey, soccer, basketball, and run track competitively. He's good at moving his body through time and space....that whole male, spatial thing.

2. His emotional intelligence. Even as a very little boy Carter could read and interpret accurately (most of the time) the emotional landscape. When he was about 6 or 7 he was helping me clean the bathroom (which is pretty remarkable in the first place). He and I were chatting away, him asking questions and me answering, and then one of those out-of-nowhere depressive thoughts invaded my brain space. Carter said "What's wrong, Mommy? You got all dark."

1. His sense of humor. Carter is just plain HILARIOUS. Unless you know him and have experienced his quick-moving, sharp-as-a-tack funny bone, these pictures won't quite capture my favorite thing about my oldest son, but will maybe give you a glimps:









He's the one in the middle with white socks on.

Happy Birthday, luv!!

2 comments:

ECrunnergirl said...

Happy late birthday to your first born! And what a great day that is (one day after mine whoo hoo!!) He is very handsome :-}

Lisa said...

Hey! actually he's my first born son. I have an even older kid, my only daughter.