Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Here's the poop.....

WARNING: For those with delicate sensibilities, please skip to the next posting (although it's not much better.)

Logan is getting closer and closer to being potty trained. Here's how I know:

The other day he and Brennan were outside playing in the back yard. They would go from wrestling in the grass to splashing each other in the pool, to eating a snack at the picnic table. Being with them is like being in the middle of a pack of LARGE puppies.

Anyway, I let Logan do all this naked so he can pee in the grass if he needs to go. I put a little potty chair out there but he'll have none of that, that BABY stuff. He sees his brother pee in the grass, so why can't he? He's doing pretty well with this, actually, and has asked to pee-pee in the potty a number of times.

So this particular day he kept pointing to his bottom saying "poop." As one might be when surrounded by a pack of puppies, I was slightly distracted and just trying to keep from getting bowled over. He kept saying "poop" and I kept saying "Yes, that's your bottom, that's where the poop comes out." All of a sudden Brennan said, "Mom! He's pooping!" And yes, indeed, there it was, making it's way out and towards the deck floor. I grabbed it in one hand, Logan in the other hand and RAN to the nearest potty. Logan was all for sitting down on it and I put the poop in the potty. I've been waiting and hoping for an opportunity to make a connection between Logan's creation and where it's supposed to go. This was it!!

He saw it and made all the happy, LOUD, exclamations that one makes when one is appreciating one's work, and then he wanted to flush. I told him to say "Bye, bye, poop!" like Joshua does in Once Upon a Potty, and he happily waved and said "bye, bye, poop!" He watched the water stop swirling, leaned WAY over to look in and said "It's gone!" I said yes. He said "I want it!"

Fortunately (or unfortunately, if you're the parent in the throws of potty training), there's more where that came from.

No comments: