Monday, June 30, 2008

I did 10......sort of

It was an out-n-back run today, with a total mileage of 10.26, but I'm not sure if walking "counts."

Out was awesome! Lonely, country roads, temps in the mid-70s, and breezy -- the wind was definitely my friend. And there's just something about running eastward...into the sun. Monsieur Soleil definitely can pull me along.

Back was brutal. I walked 1/3 of a mile during mile 7, another 1/3 during mile 9, and probably half a mile during mile 10. I also sat for about 10 minutes to check on some blisters forming. One on my left pinkie toe was burning like a tiny, red chili pepper. (The smaller they are, the hotter they are…..chilies, that is.) So I took off my shoe and dripping-with-sweat sock, let the foot breathe a bit and then wrapped the toe in a soft, fuzzy leaf. At first it made the blister sting a little more, but then the heat and sting went away! Perhaps a placebo effect? Maybe, but I really don’t care. Whatever it was, it helped.

While I shuffle-ran I thought about medicinal herbs and remembered that I have some Bee Balm growing at home. I wondered if it would help the blister. A few hours after I got home (and could walk again) I Wikied it and found that, sure as you’re born, it’s been used as a poultice for minor wounds. It’s also been used as a mouthwash.

Anyway, the last few miles that I actually ran were awful. Maybe it was the increase in temps, running on asphalt, not enough hydration, not enough calories, the blisters, or just plain, NOT READY FOR 10 MILES.

I had to resort to visually marking some spot in the road to run to, and then marking another spot and another spot. I think that helped me go at least one more mile, which is all fine and good, but I haven’t had to do that since the early days. I was also sore in ways that I haven't been in a long time.

Hmmmm. Perhaps this was training.

1 comment:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Yeah...but next time, you'll be ready for 10 miles. And it will get easier each time!