Monday, June 23, 2008

In. The. Zone.

Today's run was AB FAB!! I finally figured out that I could keep one morning a week free to do what ever I want while the mini-muffins are at "school." Monday mornings have officially become my "weekend." It's not that I don't enjoy spending time with my beloved family....it's just that, weekends really aren't what you'd call restful.




Today I decided to drop the M-Ms off and then park somewhere on the U of I campus and do a long-ish run. My course led me through this, which is a part of the University's arboretum (a pretty nice one, actually), past the Japan House, where I noticed that someone had knocked over the beautiful pagoda statues. It almost disturbed my Zen state but being in a Zen state would mean I'd let that go. (Buddhist humor -- ha ha!)

I continued on some gravel paths through one of the Ag science areas that includes an apiary in a small stand of trees. I turned west and went about 1.5 miles past crop science fields. Apparently these are the oldest research fields in the country. I only know this because there is a sign stating this fact.

Then I turned north, into some newer campus development where a series of sprinklers watering the manicured lawns welcomed me. Ahhhh! Refreshing!

A couple more miles to the Armory for a quick potty break, and a moment of silent pity for the poor ROTC schlepps who were running inside....around a TRACK. Blecchhh!

After this my energy started to wane a little until I took careful note of where I was on campus. I realized that I was on the course that I ran for the 5K in March. Yeah. That one. The one where the temp was around 0 with a frightening wind chill. Remembering that race held my attention for a while until I hit one of the main campus arteries and calculated that I was about a mile away from my designated stop.

Nice little 7-miler.

No comments: