Friday, October 3, 2008

The commentators must have ODed

on Sarah Palin's folksy-ness. That HAS to be the reason because there is no other way she could be see as doing well at last night's debate.

I'm sorry, people, but you do not do well in a debate by consistently answering questions that were not asked.

OK. I'll give you that she came out on the offensive (not sure that's a good thing, actually), and that she didn't stumble on her answers. But if that has become the definition of doing well in a debate, then we, as a people, have sunk pretty low.

It's like a teacher asking a student to solve a math problem and the student proceeds to go through the spelling list. If you were a teacher, would you pass said student? Or would you suggest the student be assessed for a possible learning disability?

I'm just as disappointed in Sen. Biden. Although he managed to keep his answers "crisp" and "to the point," he let himself get hooked by Palin's non-answers. I guess I was hoping for a dialogue -- the kind of conversation that actually goes back and forth, wherein you hear the positions on each issue compared and contrasted. So sue me for wanting a higher level of representation!

In the long run, it doesn't really matter. I still know who I'm voting for.

No comments: