Friday, January 25, 2008

Zuma is the Devil



After many attempts at discovering the TRUE identity of Satan, I believe I have found him.....it.

I have never been much of a gamer, but this one, introduced to me by Carter, has taken up residence in the part of my brain that was formally reserved for chocolate, shopping, and potato chips.

I'm stunned by the amount of time I'll waste playing this stupid game!





It's become a "joke" in our house about my "dates with the frog." (There's a frog that spits out balls that, aimed correctly, will break chains of balls the same color. The goal is to break all the balls so you can go to the next level and break MORE balls. See?! That sounds really stupid, doesn't it!)

So I'm thinking about why I play this game, why I'm drawn to it, and realize that I don't really think it's FUN, not in the colloquial sense anyway. It's not about a sense of accomplishment, either. I mean, unless you're 11 years old, who wants to brag about beating the 8th level of Jaquar Zuma?

Maybe it's about the sense of detachment and escape I get while playing it. My world is pretty darn intense, what with the muffins, and the clients, and.....well, that's enough.....and every once in a while, I just want to "check out." I can usually do that by running but I've only been able to go about twice a week lately. Is this a way of "taking care of myself?"

Is this an oxygen mask I put on myself so that I'm able to take care of my kids? You know, like they tell you in the safety precaution section of plane rides: "In the event of a loss in cabin pressure....first secure the mask over your face and then place masks on children and others in need."

Hmmmm. This probably isn't what I'm thinking about when I encourage clients who are wive/mothers to be sure to take care of themselves. I'm thinking things like meditation, exercise, quiet reading, contemplation, peaceful walks in nature....that sort of thing. I can hear it now: "Sounds like you're pretty drained from taking care of everyone and everything. You know what would really help? Zuma!"

Wow. BIG reality check! Those are all things I'd LOVE to do, but come on!! They're not too realistic for day-to-day life. Unless you're a monk. Or a hermit.

Hmmm. Maybe Zuma isn't the Devil after all.

No comments: