Saturday, February 23, 2008

I do NOT like track running

Just so ya know.

I was looking forward to running yesterday when ONO got home from work. Twice a week I spend the entire day the mini-muffins, and by the time he gets home I need to run away (pun intended).

But yesterday, the predicted one inch of snow turned into 4 inches, with a sprinkling of sleet. I thought hard about it and I realized it wasn't a good idea to run outside. It's not the snow, so much, or even the sleet. It's the stupid drivers not slowing down, not seeing me, suddenly seeing me and then spinning out of control, right into me. Perhaps a little hyperbolic but entirely possible.

So, I opted for the U of I armory track again. Bleeechhh. There just wasn't anything interesting about it this time. And for some reason my legs felt blocks of lead. It might have been the generous plate of tofu Pad Thai I'd eaten only an hour before, or the shoveling I did before hand so I could get to said armory. At any rate, I felt slow. Slower than slow. Slow as molasses. In Alaska. Slower than a sloth in the Amazon rainforest. In summer. I think you get the picture.

And it didn't help that I was the oldest person on the track by say....25 years. OK, maybe 20. But still! I really psyched myself out by focusing on all the young, trim, fast college students lapping me. And it wasn't until about mile 3 that I realized I was doing that. Oooohhhhh. Riiight. This is why running is said to be a mental sport.

I finally stopped watching everyone else and started paying attention to my breathing, my form, my music.

And then I went home and had hot chocolate and a bunch of Oreo-Minis.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hi Lisa, thanks for stopping by my blog. It's an old subject, weight/women/food - I read Fat is a Feminist Issue 25 years ago and I don't think much has changed in our world! There's a little more acceptance, but also a lot more nastiness directed at those who don't conform. Who gets to decide what is beautiful, anyway? I don't think we need to focus only on "inner beauty" - I think we need to redefine physical beauty to include ourselves in the definition!