Sunday, February 3, 2008

Worst EVER (so far)

I look forward to my long Sunday runs. This week was no exception. I had spent most of the weekend painting the basement (more on that to come) and I was ready to get out of the house and work the bottom half of my body.

The weather had been a little milder than usual and I was tricked into thinking that I would only need a base layer and light, track jacket. It wasn't long before I discovered that the wind was as brutal as it always is on the prairie.

I changed my route to manage the wind better, a disappointment as the original route took me through a lovely prairie restoration park. Instead, I ran toward the U of I campus thinking their sidewalks would be clear of the six-plus inches of snow that had fallen a few days ago. They were and all was going well until it started to rain....33 degree rain. This, with the wind, made cutting things short soooooo worth it.

Ok, time for another route change. I started back towards the car thinking I could go through the graduate student housing. What a crazy mess of mazes that was! That alone would be irritating enough but the sidewalks weren't clear, the road was in early flood stages, and the cold, cold rain was coming down harder. I swear if I'd had any money, I'd have gotten on one of the many buses that went by me. (Go ahead and say it....I know I'm a woussy).

I FINALLY got back to the car and was seriously chilled and shaking. I didn't even bother stretching. All I could think about was what was waiting for me at home:




The Super Bowl and a little bit of crunchy heaven.

No comments: