Saturday, September 22, 2007

Help me choose

I got a small tattoo on my lower back about 7 or 8 years ago. I was living in Chicago at the time, still sort of fresh from my divorce and it was just something I wanted to do. (No, I don't regret it). This is what I got then:

It's the star sign symbol for Libra.

Jen came into the city and she accompanied me to a reputable place in Lincoln Park for the painful yet strangely exciting procedure. She already had one so she knew the ropes. Afterward we tromped around in that hip Chicago neighborhood, her having a great time, me worried what kind of reaction the tattoo would get from the guy I was with. He didn't express much either way -- just goes to show ya!

Ironically, I wasn't worried as much about George's reaction. We met on-line so our relationship began with e-mails. At one point, knowing I liked him so far, I decided to reveal the tattoo. I ended an otherwise chatty and light message with a PS: "So, what do you think about tattoos?" Back then I didn't know him well enough to realize his understated response hid a bit of panic. He has worked in the medical field long enough to see some pretty freaky stuff. When he saw mine he said "oh, that's not too bad." He told me later that he thought I might be covered with them on the more private parts of my body, like the woman who had serpents (see the "s" on the end, there?) tattooed to look like they were coming out of her vagina. She had told him, while he was hooking her up for her sleep study, that the snakes were there to scare off the bad ones.

I've wanted another tattoo for a while now, but as you may imagine, George has been a bit hesitant. He keeps saying things like "it's your body." We all know that's true but he's the one stuck looking at it day after day. He finally agreed that if it wasn't too big or tacky and was in a place that wasn't weird or readily seen by everyone, it would probably be ok with him.

So, I've been looking at some ideas and would like some input. Below are 4 choices.


This is a Triskele, a very ancient symbol representing the three cycles of life. The green symbol is a prettier variation of it.


I'm a bi
g fan of the sun. This one would just be the top image without the box.

The last is the Celtic symbol for
motherhood. There would be a dot added for each child.

2 comments:

Donita said...

THE SUN! That is really cool, and if you love the sun, gotta go with that one! They are all pretty cool, actually.

Jen said...

I'm with Donita- the sun! Maybe it will warm you in the winter months and brighten your days. Make sure you put it somewhere you can see it often.