Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What's Cookin' Wednesday

Every year we've been together, George and I take the muffins to the local orchard, usually around my birthday in early October. Bethany wanted to go before she left for Venezuela so we went early this year. Going early was good for two reasons: 1) we'll go twice this year so we can get pumpkins, and 2) we picked apples which are usually done for the season by the time we go.

The recipe for this week is one George's favorites. You already know he's a big fan of chocolate cake
but this is nearly an equally matched rival. Kind of like, if you put chocolate cake and apple cake in the ring together, apple cake could almost take chocolate cake. I know this because last night I made him a proposition. I said "I'll trade you giving the kids a bath and putting them to bed (it was my turn) for apple cake." He actually seriously considered it.....for about 2 minutes. I'm not sure what he would have done if I'd offered chocolate cake. Maybe I should try it and find out.

Apple Cake

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups chopped apple

Topping
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
½ cup chopped nuts
½ cup coconut

In a large bowl, cream butter. Add sugar, brown sugar, eggs, buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda, flour, and cinnamon; mix well.

Stir in apples. Pour batter into a greased 13X9 baking pan and sprinkle with topping.

Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: