Sunday, September 9, 2007

THOSE were the days!

One of my clients sent me this ad. We've been talking about body image and how women struggle with achieving the "ideal" look, whatever it may be at the time. Ironically, the "before" woman on the left would probably be considered chubby by today's standards.

Although I'm by no means "willowy," and never will be, thanks to running I'm close to the lowest weight I've been since college. And even though my resting heart rate, cholesterol, and blood pressure are "excellent" (according to my doc), all I can think about is how fat I am because my BMI puts me in the "overweight" category. I just want to send
a big shout out to the media for so shaping my thoughts and attitudes that I ignore how strong and healthy I am and focus on how thin and willowy I'm not.

1 comment:

Jen said...

AMEN! WOOOO-HOOOOO! and a big THANK YOU!